Thursday, January 26, 2012

Walking through a darkened house



There is a moment in sleeplessness that I find myself;
when the flirting drowsiness has faded and the wretched, twitching mania has 
subsided.

I stop feeling my own fingernails clawing over me,
I stop looking for the next sign of worth,
I stop cursing the birds flight and the dogs life of ease
and I stop dreading the silence of each darkened room
as I creak among the floorboards.

When I've stopped trying to find-
I am found.

I am found in the dark with eyes closed;
records spread out- carefully chosen albums of regret and triumph;
but none on the player.


I am found among
piles of notes straightened into yellow towers,
all of them scribbled with great intent
though, none worth remembering.

I'm found when the rain taps a paltry 'hello' at 5 am,
hovers momentarily over this particular address,
then washes away a moment later,
unamused.

I am found when, all at once, I feel the warmth of words in my heart, and they
pour like blood through my outstretched fingers
and pool together in front of me.

I am found when my hands stop shaking and my
eyes begin to see white dots bobbing in the haze of a mew morning.

I am found when I think of you.
I am found for that one moment
when I forget myself.









This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.

1 comment:

Leigh Ann Napier said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Real and Imagined.

  Better to break bones than to endure the loss of perceived love.  Better to bleed internally to keep warm than to seek out comfort in anot...